- Serenity is arachnophobic. She hates, and is terrified of, scorpions.
- Though The Pact is set in the fictional world of Geiral, it is meant to reflect the American west, roughly circa 1865.
- The runes are real. At least, they reflect the real-world Norse futhark, which is sometimes used for divination and spiritual guidance. What Serenity does with these runes, well...obviously, I’ve taken a bit of license.
- Serenity’s teacher, Rook, is tribal. The tribal culture of Geiral is roughly based on a combination of real-world Scottish highlanders, indigenous American peoples, and overall inspired by the fictional race of the cheysuli, from Jennifer Roberson’s Cheysuli Chronicles.
- Most of the characters in The Pact, and its subsequent stories, are based on people I know. Many are characters originally played by myself and others in one of our many roleplaying campaigns, spanning games like Deadlands, Cyberpunk 2020, Dungeons & Dragons, and several homebrew games.
- Runes are not the only magical teachings in the world of Geiral, and Serenity is not the only one who will display a great deal of prowess with her chosen style of magic.
- The map of Geiral is originally based on a map of Asia.
- One of the very minor, almost throwaway characters in the first book ends up becoming one of the most important figures in the series.
- While Serenity is very good at almost any type of runic magic, she has virtually no talent when it comes to healing magic. These spells rarely ever work for her.
- It may seem like Serenity’s strongest talent is in destructive or combat-based magic, but this isn’t so. She’s actually most gifted in divination and visions.
- Over the course of the series, several characters draw cards or rune stones for divining elements of the future, or lessons they are meant to take from the circumstances they find themselves in. Every one of these draws is a real draw! Each time a draw came up during the writing process, I stopped to consult my own rune cards or rune stones, and whatever I drew, that’s what appears in the story.
- Serenity’s favorite animals are horses.
- The series is currently set to be 7 books long, plus one “side quest” book which explores stories of some of the supporting characters.
Buy The Pact at Amazon
About the Author:
When she isn't visiting the worlds of immortals, demons, dragons and goblins, Brantwijn fills her time with artistic endeavors: sketching, painting, customizing My Little Ponies and sewing plushies for friends. She can't handle coffee unless there's enough cream and sugar to make it a milkshake, but try and sweeten her tea and she will never forgive you. She moonlights as a futon for four lazy cats, loves tabletop role-play games, and can spend hours on end sketching characters and scenes in her secret notebooks.
Get even more book news in your inbox by signing up for our newsletter: http://eepurl.com/mHTVL. The views, opinions, and beliefs expressed by guests are their own and do not necessarily reflect those of Girl Who Reads. Girl Who Reads is an Amazon advertising affiliate; a small commission is earned when purchases are made at Amazon using any Amazon links on this site. Thank you for supporting Girl Who Reads.